Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Takmau

Takmau is a strange ''city''. Its the capital of the Kandal Province, and other than passing through rows and rows of garment factories on the back of a motorbike, its hard to determine exactly when Phnom Penh stops and Takmau starts.

Nothing much happens here, though. VERY few people speak any sort of english, but the markets dont stop being facinating. I could take national-geographic style photographs in the market place all day, if I wasnt getting enough strange looks purely based on the fact that I am white.

I am working at Chey Chumneas Hopsital, which is a convenient 200m from the guesthouse that I am staying at for the entire 9 weeks, except on weekends when I set out to explore more of Cambodia. For those of you who want to read about the adventures of the organisation I am working with, Rose Charities, check this out: http://www.roseaustralia.blogspot.com/

The highlight of working here is definitely going to see Chen Chea (refer to blog link above) who has laid virtually immobile for 4 years until the amazing team around me have helped her to regain muscle strength. Seeing her moving around on her own, and even walking (assisted) has been REALLY inspirational. Definitely read her story in the blog.

I could write about this place all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment